Mutual Fund 101 Quiz
To test your knowledge on mutual funds, take the quiz below. Click the link beneath to learn the correct answers, along with links to the appropriate videos.
View Mutual Fund 101 here on Landaas.com or here on the Landaas Money Talk YouTube channel.
1. Academic research has credited more than 90% of the variability in long-term investment returns to which one of the following?
- market timing
- asset allocation
- stock picking
- interest rate environment
2. Which one of the following factors is NOT proven to contribute to a mutual fund’s long-term success?
- low expenses
- use of complex securities
- investment process consistency
- management investing own money in the fund
3. Which one of the following can NOT be used to describe the passive approach toward managing mutual funds?
- set it and forget it
4. Which one of the following is NOT a useful tool in choosing an active mutual fund manager?
- the fund’s prospectus
- third-party evaluations
- conversations with the manager
- the fund’s performance last week
5. Which one of the following can NOT be used to describe a mutual fund prospectus?
- a way to project future returns of the fund
- a document written for lawyers by lawyers
- an outline of the fund’s objectives and risks
- one place to find how much a fund costs
6. Which publication is best for the average investor to easily find the key information they need to know about a mutual fund?
- statutory prospectus
- summary prospectus
- semi-annual report
- annual report
7. In examining a mutual fund, the best use of historical results is to:
- project how the fund will perform in the future
- determine whether the fund is worth its expense
- consider the range of gains and losses experienced over an extended period
- estimate the total return of the fund for the next three years
8. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. So why look at the past performance of mutual fund managers?
- It’s all we have to go on.
- You can compare what they did to what they said they would do.
- Managers who have underperformed try harder.
- Success builds on itself.
9. How many style categories are in Morningstar style boxes; what criteria are used for the categories?
- 4; expense level and asset value
- 6; active/passive and corporate assets
- 9; value/core/growth and company size
- 16; interest rates and earnings
10. What is the chief attraction of investing in an index fund?
- risk management
- ability to adjust to market conditions
- low cost
(initially posted March 10, 2016)