6 ways to get more from virtual appointments
By Joel Dresang
With no plans to reopen the office for in-person client reviews until precautions against the COVID-19 coronavirus are clear, Landaas & Company advisors and associates continue to provide portfolio checkups by phone and videoconference.
Based on the first few months of pandemic-induced virtual appointments, here are some tips for getting the most out of your remote reviews.
- Be prepared. Get documents such as your investment portfolio’s Morningstar snapshot and performance report in advance. Review the reports ahead of time. “We have more productive conversations if we’re talking about life rather than the numbers on the page,” Kyle Tetting said.
- Prepare your advisor. Provide a heads-up on questions you have about your portfolio or changes in your financial situation or plans for the future. Knowing ahead what’s on your mind, your advisor can have a more thoughtful and efficient discussion with you. For instance, Art Rothschild says having your most recent tax return handy can help inform advice on retirement account distributions and capital gains tax planning.
- Be safe. When exchanging documents with your advisor—whether you’re receiving or sending—use the secure Morningstar Web Portal. Check with your advisory team if you need assistance.
- Include family. “If you have been thinking about getting a family member involved with your finances, now is a great time to do it,” Isabelle Wiemero said. “Whether it’s having them on the call for the whole meeting or just getting them introduced to your advisor.”
- Stay regular. Use the convenience of remote interactions to stay connected with your advisor and stay on top of your investments. “It might not be the same as in person,” Kyle said, “but it’s important to keep checking in.”
- Stay engaged. Your advisory team is monitoring your portfolio regardless of meeting frequency and is ready to talk whenever you feel the need, Chris Evers noted, especially amid market volatility. “We want to know how you feel and if you have concerns or questions,” Chris said. “It’s important to be on the same page.”
Joel Dresang is vice president-communications at Landaas & Company.
To arrange an appointment, call weekdays at 414-223-1099.
When Should I …check my accounts?
How to use the Morningstar web portal, a Money Talk Video with Kyle Tetting
Morningstar Client Web Portal
Volatility: Stock market vs. your portfolio, a Money Talk Video with Kyle Tetting
Keeping family in the financial loop, a Money Talk Video with Isabelle Wiemero
How to be safer online: Computer use, a Money Talk Video with Jason Scuglik
(initially posted September 4, 2020)
Send us a question for our next podcast.
Not a Landaas & Company client yet? Click here to learn more.
More information and insight from Money Talk
Money Talk Videos
Follow us on Twitter.
Landaas newsletter subscribers return to the newsletter via e-mail.